Threaded submission & semaphore sharing

Koenig, Christian Christian.Koenig at amd.com
Fri Aug 2 06:10:54 UTC 2019

Am 02.08.2019 07:38 schrieb Lionel Landwerlin <lionel.g.landwerlin at intel.com>:
On 02/08/2019 08:21, Koenig, Christian wrote:

Am 02.08.2019 07:17 schrieb Lionel Landwerlin <lionel.g.landwerlin at intel.com><mailto:lionel.g.landwerlin at intel.com>:
On 02/08/2019 08:08, Koenig, Christian wrote:
Hi Lionel,

Well that looks more like your test case is buggy.

According to the code the ctx1 queue always waits for sem1 and ctx2 queue always waits for sem2.

That's supposed to be the same underlying syncobj because it's exported from one VkDevice as opaque FD from sem1 and imported into sem2.

Well than that's still buggy and won't synchronize at all.

When ctx1 waits for a semaphore and then signals the same semaphore there is no guarantee that ctx2 will run in between jobs.

It's perfectly valid in this case to first run all jobs from ctx1 and then all jobs from ctx2.

That's not really how I see the semaphores working.

The spec describe VkSemaphore as an interface to an internal payload opaque to the application.

When ctx1 waits on the semaphore, it waits on the payload put there by the previous iteration.

And who says that it's not waiting for it's own previous payload?

See if the payload is a counter this won't work either. Keep in mind that this has the semantic of a semaphore. Whoever grabs the semaphore first wins and can run, everybody else has to wait.

Then it proceeds to signal it by replacing the internal payload.

That's an implementation detail of our sync objects, but I don't think that this behavior is part of the Vulkan specification.

Regards,
Christian.

ctx2 then waits on that and replaces the payload again with the new internal synchronization object.

The internal payload is a dma fence in our case and signaling just replaces a dma fence by another or puts one where there was none before.

So we should have created a dependecy link between all the submissions and then should be executed in the order of QueueSubmit() calls.

-Lionel

It only prevents running both at the same time and as far as I can see that still works even with threaded submission.

You need at least two semaphores for a tandem submission.

Regards,
Christian.

This way there can't be any Synchronisation between the two.

Regards,
Christian.