[drm/mgag200] 90f479ae51: vm-scalability.median -18.8% regression

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Fri Aug 2 09:11:50 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 12:10:54PM +0200, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
> Hi
>
> Am 31.07.19 um 10:13 schrieb Daniel Vetter:

> >> It's a regression, the right thing is to revert first and then work
> >> out the right thing to do.
> >
> > Sure, but I have no idea whether the testcase is doing something
> > reasonable. If it's accidentally testing vm scalability of fbdev and
> > there's no one else doing something this pointless, then it's not a
> > real bug. Plus I think we're shooting the messenger here.
> >
> >> It's likely the test runs on the console and printfs stuff out while running.
> >
> > But why did we not regress the world if a few prints on the console
> > have such a huge impact? We didn't get an entire stream of mails about
> > breaking stuff ...
>
> The vmap/vunmap pair is only executed for fbdev emulation with a shadow
> FB. And most of those are with shmem helpers, which ref-count the vmap
> calls internally. My guess is that VRAM helpers are currently the only
> BOs triggering this problem.

I meant that surely this vm-scalability testcase isn't the only thing
that's being run by 0day on a machine with mga200g. If a few printks to
dmesg/console cause such a huge regression, I'd expect everything to
regress on that box. But seems to not be the case.
-Daniel

--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation