Re: ✗ Fi.CI.BAT: failure for series starting with [1/6] dma-buf: add dynamic DMA-buf handling v13

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Thu Aug 8 07:29:02 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 9:09 AM Koenig, Christian
<Christian.Koenig at amd.com> wrote:

> Am 07.08.19 um 23:19 schrieb Daniel Vetter:

> >> First one I looked at has the reservation_obj all over:
> >>
> >> https://intel-gfx-ci.01.org/tree/drm-tip/Patchwork_13438/fi-cml-u/igt@gem_exec_fence@basic-busy-default.html
> >>
> >> So 5 second guees is ... probably real?
> >>
> >> Note that with the entire lmem stuff going on right now there's massive
> >> discussions about how we're doing resv_obj vs obj->mm.lock the wrong way
> >> round in i915, so I'm not surprised at all that you managed to trip this.
> >>
> >> The way I see it right now is that obj->mm.lock needs to be limited to
> >> dealing with the i915 shrinker interactions only, and only for i915 native
> >> objects. And for dma-bufs we need to make sure it's not anywhere in the
> >> callchain. Unfortunately that's a massive refactor I guess ...
> > Thought about this some more, aside from just breaking i915 or waiting
> > until it's refactored (Both not awesome) I think the only option is get
> > back to the original caching. And figure out whether we really need to
> > take the direction into account for that, or whether upgrading to
> > bidirectional unconditionally won't be ok. I think there's only really two
> > cases where this matters:
> >
> > - display drivers using the cma/dma_alloc helpers. Everything is allocated
> >    fully coherent, cpu side wc, no flushing.
> >
> > - Everyone else (on platforms where there's actually some flushing going
> >    on) is for rendering gpus, and those always map bidirectional and want
> >    the mapping cached for as long as possible.
> >
> > With that we could go back to creating the cached mapping at attach time
> > and avoid inflicting the reservation object lock to places that would keel
> > over.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Actually we had a not so nice internal mail thread with our hardware
> guys and it looks like we have tons of hardware bugs/exceptions that
> sometimes PCIe BARs are only readable or only writable. So it turned out
> that always caching with bidirectional won't work for us either.
>
> Additional to that I'm not sure how i915 actually triggered the issue,
> cause with the current code that shouldn't be possible.
>
> But independent of that I came to the conclusion that we first need to
> get to a common view of what the fences in the reservation mean or
> otherwise the whole stuff here isn't going to work smooth either.
>
> So working on that for now and when that's finished I will come back to
> this problem here again.

Yeah makes sense. I think we also need to clarify a bit the existing
rules around reservatrion_object, dma_fence signaling, and how that
nests with everything else (like memory allocation/fs_reclaim critical
sections, or mmap_sem).

Ignore the drivers which just pin everything system memory (mostly
just socs) I think we have a bunch of groups, and they're all somewhat
incompatible with each another. Examples:

- old ttm drivers (anything except amdgpu) nest the mmap_sem within
the reservation_object. That allows you to do copy_*_user while
holding reservations, simplifying command submission since you don't
need fallback paths when you take a fault. But means you have this
awkward trylock in the mmap path with no forward progress guarantee at
all.

amdgpu fixed that (but left ttm alone), i915 also works like that with
mmap_sem being the outer lock.

- other is reservation_object vs memory allocations. Currently all
drivers assume you can allocate memory while holding a reservation,
but i915 gem folks seem to have some plans to change that for i915.
Which isn't going to work I think, so we need to clarify that before
things get more inconsistent.

Above two can at least be ensured by adding somme lockdep annotations
and dependency priming, see i915_gem_shrinker_taints_mutex for what I
have in mind for reservation_obj.

The real pain/scary thing is dma_fence. All the
shrinkers/mmu_notifiers/hmm_mirrors we have assume that you can wait
for a fence from allocation contexts/direct reclaim. Which means
nothing you do between publishing a fence somewhere (dma-buf, syncobj,
syncpt fd) and signalling that fence is allowed to allocate memory or
pull in any dependencies which might need memory allocations. I think
we're mostly ok with this, but there's some i915 patches that break
this.

Much worse is that lockdep can't help us check this: dma_fence is
essentially struct completion on steroids, and the cross-release
lockdep support for struct completion looks like it's never going to
get merged. So no debugging aids to make sure we get this right, all
we have is review and testing and machines deadlocking in really
complicated ways if we get it wrong.

Cheers, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter