drm_panel_get_modes() should take the connector as an argument [Was: drm/bridge: panel: Implement bridge ...]

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Thu Aug 8 16:52:53 UTC 2019

Hi Laurent.

As I said in another mail, you have managed to keep me busy...

> > I took a look at this - it seems simple:
> > - Update drm_panel.get_modes() to take drm_connector as argument, and fix
> >   all callers. All callers already have connector available.
> > - Drop drm_panel_attach(), drm_panel_detach() and update all callers.
> >   In reality just drop all code around attach(), detach().
> >   drm_panel_attach(), drm_panel_detach() will be noops when the
> >   connector stored in drm_panel is no longer used.
> >
> > The semantic difference is that we supply the connector when we call
> > drm_panel_get_modes() and not at panel creation time with an drm_panel_attach().
> >
> > So it should be doable without any migration from one world to the other.
> >
> > If someone can say "yes it should be that simple", then I will
> > give it a spin.
>
> Looking forward to that :-)

Almost there....
I have all the preparation patches on dri-devel, with positive
feedback on most.

And locally I have updated all get_modes() to take drm_connector as
argument.

A few drivers access drm_panel->connector, still need to look into this.

And then for drm_panel_attach(), drm_panel_detach() - so far they are
kept but changed to take a drm_device*.

Just sharing this so you do not jump at it and duplicate the work.
It will take a little time before I can invest time in this again.
Will post patches when something is ready for review.

	Sam