Display-Port HPD handling, link status, and bandwidth checks

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Sun Aug 25 20:23:54 UTC 2019

You'll probably get a more detailed reply during the week, but for now
have a look at the "link-status" property, which was made for
precisely this situation. I think basically the idea is to ignore link
training as part of the modeset, and just return the link status
depending on the success. (And you should filter out totally
infeasible modes, i.e. outside the monitor's max lanes/bandwidth
capabilities, which I believe are available via DPCD or EDID.)

See https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/gpu/drm-kms.html for a bit
more info as well.

Cheers,

  -ilia