[LKP] [drm/mgag200] 90f479ae51: vm-scalability.median -18.8% regression

Thomas Zimmermann tzimmermann at suse.de
Mon Aug 26 10:50:50 UTC 2019

Hi Feng

Am 24.08.19 um 07:16 schrieb Feng Tang:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 07:25:11PM +0200, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I was traveling and could reply earlier. Sorry for taking so long.
>
> No problem! I guessed so :)
>

>> Am 13.08.19 um 11:36 schrieb Feng Tang:
>>> Hi Thomas,

>>> We also did some further break down for the time consumed by the
>>> new code.
>>>
>>> The drm_fb_helper_dirty_work() calls sequentially 1.
>>> drm_client_buffer_vmap	  (290 us) 2.
>>> drm_fb_helper_dirty_blit_real  (19240 us) 3.
>>> helper->fb->funcs->dirty()    ---> NULL for mgag200 driver 4.
>>> drm_client_buffer_vunmap       (215 us)
>>>

>> It's somewhat different to what I observed, but maybe I just
>> couldn't reproduce the problem correctly.
>>
>>> The average run time is listed after the function names.
>>>
>>> From it, we can see drm_fb_helper_dirty_blit_real() takes too
>>> long time (about 20ms for each run). I guess this is the root
>>> cause of this regression, as the original code doesn't use this
>>> dirty worker.
>>
>> True, the original code uses a temporary buffer, but updates the
>> display immediately.
>>
>> My guess is that this could be a caching problem. The worker runs
>> on a different CPU, which doesn't have the shadow buffer in cache.
>
> Yes, that's my thought too. I profiled the working set size, for most
> of the drm_fb_helper_dirty_blit_real(), it will update a buffer
> 4096x768(3 MB), and as it is called 30~40 times per second, it surely
> will affect the cache.
>

>>> As said in last email, setting the prefer_shadow to 0 can avoid
>>> the regrssion. Could it be an option?
>>
>> Unfortunately not. Without the shadow buffer, the console's
>> display buffer permanently resides in video memory. It consumes
>> significant amount of that memory (say 8 MiB out of 16 MiB). That
>> doesn't leave enough room for anything else.
>>
>> The best option is to not print to the console.
>
> Do we have other options here?

I attached two patches. Both show an improvement in my setup at least.
Could you please test them independently from each other and report back?

prefetch.patch prefetches the shadow buffer two scanlines ahead during
the blit function. The idea is to have the scanlines in cache when they
are supposed to go to hardware.

schedule.patch schedules the dirty worker on the current CPU core (i.e.,
the one that did the drawing to the shadow buffer). Hopefully the shadow
buffer remains in cache meanwhile.

Best regards
Thomas