[RFC] mm/hmm: pass mmu_notifier_range to sync_cpu_device_pagetables

Kuehling, Felix Felix.Kuehling at amd.com
Wed Jul 3 02:27:22 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-02 6:59 p.m., Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>>> This make so much sense, I'd like to apply this in hmm.git, is there
>>> any objection?
>> As this creates a somewhat hairy conflict for amdgpu, wouldn't it be
>> a better idea to wait a bit and apply it first thing for next merge
>> window?
> My thinking is that AMD GPU already has a monster conflict from this:
>
>   int hmm_range_register(struct hmm_range *range,
> -                      struct mm_struct *mm,
> +                      struct hmm_mirror *mirror,
>                         unsigned long start,
>                         unsigned long end,
>                         unsigned page_shift);
>
> So, depending on how that is resolved we might want to do both API
> changes at once.

I just sent out a fix for the hmm_mirror API change.

> Or we may have to revert the above change at this late date.
>
> Waiting for AMDGPU team to discuss what process they want to use.

Yeah, I'm wondering what the process is myself. With HMM and driver
development happening on different branches these kinds of API changes
are painful. There seems to be a built-in assumption in the current
process, that code flows mostly in one direction amd-staging-drm-next ->
drm-next -> linux-next -> linux. That assumption is broken with HMM code
evolving rapidly in both amdgpu and mm.

If we want to continue developing HMM driver changes in
amd-staging-drm-next, we'll need to synchronize with hmm.git more
frequently, both ways. I believe part of the problem is, that there is a
fairly long lead-time from getting changes from amd-staging-drm-next
into linux-next, as they are held for one release cycle in drm-next.
Pushing HMM-related changes through drm-fixes may offer a kind of
shortcut. Philip and my latest fixup is just bypassing drm-next
completely and going straight into linux-next, though.

Regards,
   Felix