DRM pull for v5.3-rc1

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Mon Jul 15 18:06:49 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 7:57 PM Jason Gunthorpe <jgg at mellanox.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 07:53:06PM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
>
> > > So, I'll put it on a topic and send you two a note next week to decide
> > > if you want to merge it or not. I'm really unclear how nouveau's and
> > > AMD's patchflow works..
> >
> > DRM is 2-level for pretty much everything. First it lands in a driver
> > tree (or a collectiv of drivers, like in drm-misc). Then those send
> > pull requests to drm.git for integration. Busy trees do that every 1-2
> > weeks (e.g. amdgpu), slower trees once per merge window (e.g. nouveau)
> > for drm-next, similar for drm-fixes.
>
> The DRM part seems logical - it is how the AMD GPU and nouveau git
> trees trees work that I don't know. I heard that neither could take in
> a stable topic branch?

Hm yeah they're a bit special. Nouveau is mostly developed in
userspace, at least by it's main developer Ben Skeggs. But generally
he's taking care of shuffling patches back&forth using scripts.
Usually easier to do any merges and stuff in drm.git though.

AMD is a different case, they've disappeared quite a lot behind the
amd firewalls with the new codebase. So there the rebasing-before-pull
is for corporate politics reasons it seems, and really not needed for
any technical reasons (unlike nouveau, where reverse-engineering hw in
userspace is a lot nicer than crashing kernels). Dave&me have been
nagging them for a few years now to fix this.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation