DRM pull for v5.3-rc1

Jason Gunthorpe jgg at mellanox.com
Mon Jul 15 19:17:08 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 11:16:11AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> [ Ugh, I have three different threads about the drm pull because of
> the subject / html confusion. So now I'm replying in separate threads
> and I'm hoping the people involved have better threading than gmail
> does ;/ ]
>
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 5:29 AM Jason Gunthorpe <jgg at mellanox.com> wrote:
> >
> > The 'hmm' tree is something I ran to try and help workflow issues like
> > this, as it could be merged to DRM as a topic branch - maybe consider
> > this flow in future?
> >
> > Linus, do you have any advice on how best to handle sharing mm
> > patches?
>
> I don't have a lot of advice except for "very very carefully".
>
> I think the hmm tree worked really well this merge window, at least
> from my standpoint.
>
> But it is of course possible that my happiness about the hmm tree is a
> complete fluke and came about because pretty much all the patches were
> removing oddities and cleaning things up, and they weren't adding new
> odd things (or if they were, you hid it better ;^).

lol

Actually I think it was a lot of effort from many people to monitor
and stay on top of conflicts, and there was certainly a deliberate
effort to bring many people together.

About the only thing I could concretely suggest for working with -mm
is if there was some way the -mm quilt patches could participate in
'git merge' resolution at your level.

I only say this because the lowest point was when merging CH's series
to hmm.git caused Andrew to have to do a lot of work rebasing DanW's
series during rc7. Arguably that should have been my work preparing a
conflict resolution instruction, not his doing rebases.

.. and if we needed to revise hmm.git Dan's series would have been at
more risk. It kind of still is as I haven't seen him Ack Andrew's
rebase yet?

Thanks,
Jason