kernel panic: stack is corrupted in pointer

Dmitry Vyukov dvyukov at google.com
Wed Jul 24 08:30:48 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 7:26 PM John Fastabend <john.fastabend at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 10:58 AM syzbot
> > <syzbot+79f5f028005a77ecb6bb at syzkaller.appspotmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > syzbot found the following crash on:
> > >
> > > HEAD commit:    1438cde7 Add linux-next specific files for 20190716
> > > git tree:       linux-next
> > > console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=13988058600000
> > > kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=3430a151e1452331
> > > dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=79f5f028005a77ecb6bb
> > > compiler:       gcc (GCC) 9.0.0 20181231 (experimental)
> > > syz repro:      https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=111fc8afa00000
> >
> > From the repro it looks like the same bpf stack overflow bug. +John
> > We need to dup them onto some canonical report for this bug, or this
> > becomes unmanageable.
>
> Fixes in bpf tree should fix this. Hopefully, we will squash this once fixes
> percolate up.
>
> #syz test: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/bpf/bpf.git

Cool! What is the fix?
We don't need to wait for the fix to percolate up (and then down
too!). syzbot gracefully handles when a patch is not yet present
everywhere (it happens all the time).

Btw, this was due to a stack overflow, right? Or something else?
We are trying to make KASAN configuration detect stack overflows too,
so that it does not cause havoc next time. But it turns out to be
non-trivial and our current attempt seems to fail:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/kasan-dev/IhYv7QYhLfY