[RFC 0/4] drm/mipi-dbi: Support panel drivers

Noralf Trønnes noralf at tronnes.org
Tue Jul 30 14:51:25 UTC 2019

Please reply inline instead of top-posting.

Den 30.07.2019 16.27, skrev Josef Luštický:
> Yes, the onboard RAM is ili9341 feature.
> I am able to drive the DisplayTech DT024CTFT panel in both modes.
>
> I've just tested the DisplayTech DT024CTFT panel with your patchset
> and it works fine with parallel RGB input mode:
> compatible = "displaytech,dt024ctft", "ilitek,ili9341";
> and with SPI input mode:
> compatible = "mi,mi0283qt", "ilitek,ili9341";
>
> However, there seems to be an issue when i use
> compatible = "displaytech,dt024ctft", "ilitek,ili9341";
> but no port property.
> This is caused by calling dt024ctft_prepare in such case.
>
> I would expected the driver to fallback to SPI input mode in such case.
> In other words, the ili9341-based panels can be used in both modes,
> but not all displays available
> on the market provide breakout pins for the parallel RGB connection.

You need to support both modes in dt024ctft_prepare and apply the
appropriate controller setup for the chosen pixel interface. The setup
is panel specific and interface specific.

Unless your panel is specced the exact same way as the mi0283qt panel,
then the dt024ctft panel will have different power pump setup, gamma
curve etc. So each panel needs its own prepare function. Some panels
even have commands in their setup that isn't listed in the controller
datasheet, ie. they have a custom controller for their display. Some
even pretend to be one controller, but reading the register contents,
it's doubtful that this is true and it's more likely to be a clone.

Noralf.