Linking ALSA playback devices and DRM connectors

Ser, Simon simon.ser at intel.com
Tue Jun 4 15:05:37 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to link ALSA playback devices and DRM connectors. In other
words, I'd like to be able to know which ALSA device I should open to
play audio on a given connector.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to extract this information. I
know /proc/asound/cardN/eld* expose the EDID-like data. However by
looking at the ALSA API (also: aplay -l and -L) I can't find a way to
figure out which PCM device maps to the ELD.

Am I missing something?

If not, what would be the best way to expose this?

- A symlink to the ALSA audio PCM device in
  /sys/class/drm/cardN-CONNECTOR?
- A symlink to the DRM connector in /sys/class/sound/pcm*?
- A DRM connector property?
- Somehow expose the connector name via the ALSA API?
- Expose the connector EDID via ALSA?
- Other ideas?

Thanks!

Simon Ser