Is it possible to reset graphics controller on reboot in a framebuffer driver?

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Fri Mar 8 09:13:58 UTC 2019

Hi Tom,

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:38 PM Tom Li <tomli at tomli.me> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 10:39:23AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:00 AM Jani Nikula <jani.nikula at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > > It's possible to do this using a reboot notifier. I am not sure if there
> > > are better ways to achieve the same, but there's at least one example of
> > > using reboot notifiers to achieve the exact same goal.
> > >
> > > See drivers/video/fbdev/aty/atyfb_base.c, look for
> > > register_reboot_notifier().
> >
> > Or a shutdown handler, which is more device-centric?
> > (cfr. "[3/4] fbdev: atafb: Fix broken frame buffer after kexec",
> >  https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10814381/).
> >
> > Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
> Thanks, I knew reboot_notifier but I thought it feels "hacky" to use it in a
> device driver, shutdown() handler looks better.
>
> Nevertheless, does it mean there's no way to prevent it from happening if the
> user issues a emergency reboot? Like an automatic reboot after a kernel panic,
> or a SysRq-B reboot.

If Linux performs a reboot, it calls the shutdown handlers.
I think that includes reboot on panic, or SysRq-B, but I'd have to check to
be 100% sure.

If the kernel just crashes, of course all of that doesn't happen.
Is your graphics card reset when the reset button is pressed, or only on
cold power on?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds