DRM-based Oops viewer

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Mar 11 13:49:41 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 11:04:19AM +0200, Jani Nikula wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2019, "Ahmed S. Darwish" <darwish.07 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello DRM/UEFI maintainers,
> >
> > Several years ago, I wrote a set of patches to dump the kernel
> > log to disk upon panic -- through BIOS INT 0x13 services. [1]
> >
> > The overwhelming response was that it's unsafe to do this in a
> > generic manner. Linus proposed a video-based viewer instead: [2]
> >
> >     If you want to do the BIOS services thing, do it for video: copy the
> >     oops to low RAM, return to real mode, re-run the graphics card POST
> >     routines to initialize text-mode, and use the BIOS to print out the
> >     oops.  That is WAY less scary than writing to disk.
> >
> > Of course it's 2019 now though, and it's quite known that
> > Intel is officially obsoleting the PC/AT BIOS by 2020.. [3]
> >
> > Researching whether this can be done from UEFI, it was also clear
> > that UEFI "Runtime Services" do not provide any re-initialization
> > routines. [4]
> >
> > The maximum possible that UEFI can provide is a GOP-provided
> > framebuffer that's ready to use by the OS -- even after the UEFI
> > boot phase is marked as done through ExitBootServices(). [5]
> >
> > Of course, once native drivers like i915 or radeon take over,
> > such a framebuffer is toast... [6]
> >
> > Thus a possible remaining option, is to display the oops through
> > "minimal" DRM drivers provided for each HW variant... Since
> > these special drivers will run only and fully under a panic()
> > context though, several constraints exist:
> >
> >   - The code should be fully synchronous (irqs are disabled)
> >   - It should not allocate any dynamic memory
> >   - It should make minimal assumptions about HW state
> >   - It should not chain into any other kernel subsystem
> >   - It has ample freedom to use delay-based loops and the
> >     like, the kernel is already dead.
> >
> > How feasible is it to have such a special "DRM viewoops"
> > framework + its minimal drivers in the kernel?
>
> Please first better define what you want to achieve.
>
> Do you want to store the dmesg or oops (like your original series
> suggests) or do you want to display the oops? Do you want the facility
> to be functioning at all times, or only when specifically requested in
> advance by the user? If you want to display the oops, do you want it to
> also work when the display is disabled at the time of the oops? What if
> the display is at attached to a port on a dock?
>
> There's at least kdump, ramoops, and netconsole that can be used to
> achieve some of what you want. How do they fall short for you?

Assuming the use-case is to get an oops to display on a kms driver, we do
have a fairly comprehensive plan of what that's should look like:

https://dri.freedesktop.org/docs/drm/gpu/todo.html#make-panic-handling-work

This takes into account all the failed previous attempts at trying to get
an oops to display. It's conceptually a match with your viewoops framework
I think.
-Daniel

--
Daniel Vetter