[RFC v4 08/17] kunit: test: add support for test abort

Brendan Higgins brendanhiggins at google.com
Mon Mar 25 22:32:07 UTC 2019

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 12:11 AM Knut Omang <knut.omang at oracle.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2019-03-21 at 18:41 -0700, Brendan Higgins wrote:
< snip >

> > > People do things.  Just expect it.
> >
> > Huh, alright. I will take your word for it then.
>
> I have a better explanation: Production kernels have bugs, unfortunately.
> And sometimes those need to be investigated on systems than cannot be
> brought down or affected more than absolutely necessary, maybe via a third party
> doing the execution. A light weight, precise test (well tested ahead :) ) might
> be a way of proving or disproving assumptions that can lead to the development
> and application of a fix.

Sorry, you are not suggesting testing in production are you? To be
clear, I am not concerned about someone using testing, KUnit, or
whatever in a *production-like* environment: that's not what we are
talking about here. My assumption is that no one will deploy tests
into actual production.

> IMHO you're confusing "building into" with temporary applying, then removing
> again - like the difference between running a local user space program vs
> installing it under /usr and have it in everyone's PATH.

I don't really see the point of distinguishing between "building into"
and "temporary applying" in this case; that's part of my point. Maybe
it makes sense in whitebox end-to-end testing, but in the case of unit
testing, I don't think so.

> I think one of the fundamental properties of a good test framework is that it
> should not require changes to the code under test by itself.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with the environment the code/tests
are running in.

< snip >

Cheers