[Intel-gfx] [v11 00/12] Add HDR Metadata Parsing and handling in DRM layer

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed May 29 09:43:22 UTC 2019

When building the docs with make htmldocs:

./include/drm/drm_mode_config.h:841: warning: Incorrect use of
kernel-doc format:          * hdr_output_metadata_property: Connector
property containing hdr
./include/drm/drm_mode_config.h:918: warning: Function parameter or
member 'hdr_output_metadata_property' not described in
'drm_mode_config'
./include/drm/drm_connector.h:1251: warning: Function parameter or
member 'hdr_output_metadata' not described in 'drm_connector'
./include/drm/drm_connector.h:1251: warning: Function parameter or
member 'hdr_sink_metadata' not described in 'drm_connector'

Please fix.

In general documentation for this patch seems to be extremely lacking.
No property spec, not docs for most of the new stuff added, no
nothing.

Please fix asap.

Shashank, Ville, this is stuff reviewers must catch.

Thanks, Daniel

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 3:43 PM Uma Shankar <uma.shankar at intel.com> wrote:

> This patch series enables HDR support in drm. It basically defines
> HDR metadata structures, property to pass content (after blending)
> metadata from user space compositors to driver.
>
> Dynamic Range and Mastering infoframe creation and sending.
>
> ToDo:
> 1. We need to get the color framework in place for all planes
>    which support HDR content in hardware. This is already in progres
>    and patches are out for review in mailing list.
> 2. UserSpace/Compositors: Blending policies and metadata blob
>    creation and passing to driver. Work is already in progress
>    by Intel's middleware teams on wayland and the patches for
>    the same are in review.
>
> A POC has already been developed by Ville based on wayland. Please refer
> below link to see the component interactions and usage:
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2017-December/036403.html
>
> v2: Updated Ville's POC changes to the patch series.Incorporated cleanups
> and fixes from Ville. Rebase on latest drm-tip.
>
> v3: Fixed a warning causing builds to break on CI. No major change.
>
> v4: Addressed Shashank's review comments.
>
> v5: Rebase on top of Ville's infoframe refactoring changes. Fixed non modeset
> case for HDR metadata update. Dropped a redundant patch.
>
> v6: Addressed Shashank's review comments and added RB's received.
>
> v7: Squashed 2 patches, dropped 1 change and addressed Brian Starkey's and
> Shashank's review comments.
>
> v8: Addressed Jonas Karlman review comments. Added Shashank's RB to the series,
> fixed a WARN_ON on BYT/CHT.
>
> v9: Addressed Ville and Jonas Karlman's review comments. Added the infoframe
> state readout and metadata reference count.
>
> v10: Addressed review comments from Jonas and Ville. Dropped one patch related
> to i915 fastset handling as per Ville's feedback.
>
> v11: Addressed Ville's review comments.
>
> Note: v9 version is already tested with Kodi and a confirmation from team kodi has been
> received. Branch details for the same as below:
> https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/feature_drmprime-vaapi
>
> v9 of this series is:
> Tested-by: Jonas Karlman <jonas at kwiboo.se>
>
> Jonas Karlman (1):
>   drm: Add reference counting on HDR metadata blob
>
> Uma Shankar (9):
>   drm: Add HDR source metadata property
>   drm: Parse HDR metadata info from EDID
>   drm: Enable HDR infoframe support
>   drm/i915: Attach HDR metadata property to connector
>   drm/i915: Write HDR infoframe and send to panel
>   drm/i915:Enabled Modeset when HDR Infoframe changes
>   drm/i915: Added DRM Infoframe handling for BYT/CHT
>   video/hdmi: Add Unpack function for DRM infoframe
>   drm/i915: Add state readout for DRM infoframe
>
> Ville Syrjälä (2):
>   drm: Add HLG EOTF
>   drm/i915: Enable infoframes on GLK+ for HDR
>
>  drivers/gpu/drm/drm_atomic_state_helper.c |   5 +
>  drivers/gpu/drm/drm_atomic_uapi.c         |  12 ++
>  drivers/gpu/drm/drm_connector.c           |   6 +
> [...]

Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch