Proposal to report GPU private memory allocations with sysfs nodes [plain text version]

Yiwei Zhang zzyiwei at google.com
Tue Nov 5 19:45:28 UTC 2019

Hi Daniel,

> - The labels are currently free-form, baking them back into your structure
>  would mean we'd need to do lots of hot add/remove of sysfs directory
>  trees. Which sounds like a real bad idea :-/
Given the free form of that ioctl, what's the plan of using that and
the reporting of the labeled BOs?
Do you think upstream kernel need to have certain resource category
based tracking for gpu private allocations?

> - Buffer objects aren't attached to pids, but files. And files can be
>  shared. If we want to list this somewhere outside of debugfs, we need to
>  tie this into the files somehow (so proc), except the underlying files
>  are all anon inodes, so this gets really tricky I think to make work
>  well.
So there isn't any gpu private allocations on the upstream side?
How does upstream deal with duplicate accounting for the shared memory?

Best,
Yiwei