Overlay support in the i.MX7 display

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Sat Nov 9 14:30:35 UTC 2019

Le lundi 04 novembre 2019 à 19:24 +0100, Daniel Vetter a écrit :
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 02:58:29PM +0200, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > Hello,

> > There would be sink video nodes for the PXP inputs, and one source video
> > node for the PXP output. The PXP can be used stand-alone, in
> > memory-to-memory mode, and V4L2 is a good fit for that.

> > That's the issue, it's not easily doable. I think we could do so, but
> > how to ensure mutual exclusion between the two APIs needs to be
> > researched. I fear it will result in an awkward solution with fuzzy
> > semantics. A module parameter could be an option, but wouldn't be very
> > flexible.

> > I think it's highly use-case-dependent.
> >
> > > mind, with Wayland architecture, color conversion and scaling could be
> > > at the same level/step as compositing, in the display server instead of
> > > an application. Hence if the PXP capabilities were advertised as KMS
> > > planes, there should be nothing to patch in Wayland-designed
> > > applications to make use of them, assuming the applications did not
> > > already rely on V4L2 M2M devices.
> > >
> > > Would it not be possible to expose PXP through both uAPI interfaces? At
> > > least KMS atomic's TEST_ONLY feature would make it easy to say "no" to
> > > userspace if another bit of userspace already reserved the device via
> > > e.g. V4L2.
> >
> > We would also need to figure out how to do it the other way around,
> > reporting properly through V4L2 that the device is busy. I think it's
> > feasible, but I doubt it would result in anything usable for userspace.
> > If the KMS device exposes multiple planes unconditionally and fails the
> > atomic commit if the PXP is used through V4L2, I think it would be hard
> > for Wayland to use this consistently. Given that I expect the PXP to be
> > mostly used for display purpose I'm tempted to allocate it for display
> > unconditionally, or, possibly, decide how to expose it through a module
> > parameter.
>
> KMS should be fine if planes are missing, userspace is supposed to be able
> to cope with that. Not all userspace does, but welp.
>
> I figured the bigger issue will be on the v4l side, since "device
> temporarily gone" is not something v4l understands as a concept?

m2m are different, since each time you open the device you get a new
instance. This is handled for decoders already in userspace, I really
don't see the difference. I'm guessing application that wants to
multiplex the PXP, will have to avoid the PXP planes for this HW, this
might be a little tricky and seems HW specific.