drm core/helpers and MIT license

Noralf Trønnes noralf at tronnes.org
Fri Nov 15 14:33:46 UTC 2019

Den 15.11.2019 13.34, skrev Ville Syrjälä:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 08:01:32PM +0000, coypu at sdf.org wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> I don't think we can make any complaints about GPL being more widely
>> used in the DRM code. It's nice to have the code at all, the MIT license
>> is a bonus. Thanks for writing it and bearing with us.
>>
>> Would rewrites done purely for licensing reasons be accepted upstream?
>
> Rewrite should be the last resort. I think a lot of the GPL only stuff
> is quite recent so there's a good chance the author(s) are still around
> to discuss relicensing.

If someone sends patches to MIT license the work I've done, I'll be
happy to ack it. It's only recently that I've been aware of the fact
that MIT licensed was a thing in the kernel. I was under the impression
that all new code should be GPL and MIT were for code imported from
elsewhere. I would love to see my work being used on the BSD's.

Noralf.