[RFCv1 33/42] drm/omap: dsi: use atomic helper for dirtyfb

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Tue Nov 19 15:06:43 UTC 2019

* Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen at ti.com> [191119 14:54]:
> On 19/11/2019 16:32, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>
> > > We haven't had omap_gem_op_finish() in the kernel for some years now...
> > >
> > > Shouldn't a normal page flip, or if doing single-buffering, using the
> > > dirtyfb ioctl, do the job?
> >
> > It does not seem to happen with the old pvr-omap4 related patches
> > and whatever gles related tests at least. If you have some idea
> > where it should get called I can take a look at some point.
>
> The userspace apps need to do this. If they're using single-buffering, then
> using the dirtyfb ioctl should do the trick, after the SGX has finished
> drawing.

Sounds like that's not happening.

But why would the userspace app need to know this might be needed for
a DSI command mode display and that it's not needed for HDMI?

> It's probably somewhat difficult if EGL is controlling the display, as,
> afaik, SGX EGL is closed source, and that's probably where it should be
> done.
>
> But adding back the hacky omap gem sync stuff, and then somehow guessing
> from the sync finish that some display needs to be updated... It just does
> not sound right to me.

Right it's ugly. Still sounds like we need something in the kernel
that knows "this is a DSI command mode LCD and needs to be updated".

Regards,

Tony