locking&resource refcounting for ttm_bo_kmap/dma_buf_vmap

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Wed Nov 20 12:40:17 UTC 2019

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 1:24 PM Christian König
<christian.koenig at amd.com> wrote:

> Am 20.11.19 um 13:19 schrieb Daniel Vetter:
> > On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 1:09 PM Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch> wrote:

> >> Yeah right now everyone seems to have an attachment, and that's how we
> >> get away with all this. But the interface isn't supposed to work like
> >> that, dma_buf_vmap/unmap is supposed to be a stand-alone thing (you
> >> can call it directly on the struct dma_buf, no need for an
> >> attachment). Also I don't think non-dynamic drivers should ever call
> >> pin/unpin, not their job, holding onto a mapping should be enough to
> >> get things pinned.

> >> Well that's why I asked where the pin/unpin pair is. If you lock&pin,
> >> then you do know that the pointer will stay around. But looks like the
> >> original patch from Dave for ttm based drivers played fast&loose here
> >> with what should be done.

> >> udl, bunch of other things (e.g. bunch of tiny drivers). Not much, but
> >> not stuff we can drop.
> > If we're unlucky we'll actually have a problem with these now. For
> > some of these the attached device is not dma-capable, so dma_map_sg
> > will go boom. With the cached mapping logic we now have this might go
> > sideways for dynamic exporters. Did you test your dynamic dma-buf
> > support for amdgpu with udl?
>
> Short answer no, not at all. Long one: What the heck is udl? And how is
> it not dma-capable?

usb display thing. The data gets shoveled over the wire with cpu
vmaps. A bunch of the tiny drivers we have have similar issues, where
the controller might fall back to PIO instead of dma. Either way the
struct device itself is not sitting on a bus that can do dma directly
- I guess the devices could (maybe they do already, didn't check that)
attach to the bus master, but sometimes that's fairly opaque and
hidden in the subsystem plumbing.

Entire different case is fully fake stuff like vgem/vkms. If that
still works we should be good (at least on x86, dma-api works
differently on other platforms). And again you'd need to test with
your dynamic dma-buf exporter to verify, otherwise I don't think we'll
hit the critical path.

> > Worst case we need to get rid of the fake
> > attachment, fix the vmap locking/pinning, and maybe some more
> > headaches to sort this out.
>
> Well of hand we could require that vmap will also pin a DMA-buf and
> start fixing amgpu/nouveau/radeon/qxl.

Yeah that's what I meant with lock/pin fixing. But it's only one side,
we'd also need to get rid of the dma_map_sg for all these drivers that
don't dma (whether virtual or on a bus without dma).
-Daniel