New sysfs interface for privacy screens

Mat King mathewk at google.com
Thu Oct 3 19:57:16 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 2:59 AM Jani Nikula <jani.nikula at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Oct 2019, Mat King <mathewk at google.com> wrote:

> >> Indeed. I'm painfully aware of the issues Daniel describes, and that's
> >> part of the motivation for writing this.
> >>
> >> Obviously the problem with associating the privacy screen with the DRM
> >> connector is that then the kernel has to make the connection, somehow,
> >> instead of just making it a userspace problem.
> >>
> >> BR,
> >> Jani.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center
> >
> > I am not familiar with the DRM connector interface and I don't quite
> > understand how it would work in this case. How would the connector
> > provide control to userspace? Is there documentation or example code
> > somewhere that you could point me to?
>
> Here are some links, from the general to more specific. Don't get
> overwhelmed. ;)
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/gpu/index.html
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/gpu/drm-kms.html
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/gpu/drm-kms.html#kms-properties
>
> The kms userspace tests have some example code. Likely pretty far from
> what a nice userspace would actually look like, but you get the idea.
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/igt-gpu-tools/blob/master/tests/kms_properties.c
>
> Finally, the larger point all along in exposing this via connector
> properties is that this could be integrated to some graphics userspace
> for a nice user experience, instead of scattering a bunch of userspace
> APIs for the same feature across the kernel, and then desperately trying
> to gather them to a coherent experience in userspace.
>
> In fact, to that end we have rather more strict requirements for
> userspace APIs in drm than perhaps the rest of the kernel:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/gpu/drm-uapi.html#open-source-userspace-requirements
>
> Just shoving this into sysfs or procfs to get the kernel part done is
> technical debt that ultimately has to be paid by userspace. The
> backlight sysfs interface is ancient, and we didn't know better. We
> don't have that excuse anymore.
>

> BR,
> Jani.
>

> --
> Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center

Thanks Jani, the DRM connector picture is much more clear now after
reading through those.

So my proposal would now be to add a new standard property to
drm_connector called "privacy_screen" this property would be an enum
which can take one of three values.

PRIVACY_UNSUPPORTED - Privacy is not available for this connector
PRIVACY_DISABLED - Privacy is available but turned off
PRIVACY_ENABLED - Privacy is available and turned on

When the connector is initized the privacy screen property is set to
PRIVACY_UNSUPPORTED and cannot be changed unless a drm_privacy_screen
is registered to the connector. drm_privacy_screen will look something
like

struct drm_privacy_screen_ops {
    int (*get_privacy_state)(struct drm_privacy_screen *);
    int (*set_privacy_state)(struct drm_privacy_screen *, int);
}

struct drm_privacy_screen {
    /* The privacy screen device */
    struct device *dev;

    /* The connector that the privacy screen is attached */
    struct drm_connector *connector;

    /* Ops to get and set the privacy screen state */
    struct drm_privacy_screen_ops *ops;

    /* The current state of the privacy screen */
    int state;
}

Privacy screen device drivers will call a function to register the
privacy screen with the connector.

int drm_privacy_screen_register(struct drm_privacy_screen_ops *ops,
struct device *dev, struct drm_connector *);

Calling this will set a new field on the connector "struct
drm_privacy_screen *privacy_screen" and change the value of the
property to ops->get_privacy_state(). When
drm_mode_connector_set_obj_prop() is called with the
privacy_screen_proptery if a privacy_screen is registered to the
connector the ops->set_privacy_state() will be called with the new
value.

Setting of this property (and all drm properties) is done in user
space using ioctrl.

Registering the privacy screen with a connector may be tricky because
the driver for the privacy screen will need to be able to identify
which connector it belongs to and we will have to deal with connectors
being added both before and after the privacy screen device is added
by it's driver.

How does that sound? I will work on a patch if that all sounds about right.

One question I still have is there a way to not accept a value that is
passed to drm_mode_connector_set_obj_prop()? In this case if a privacy
screen is not registered the property must stay PRIVACY_UNSUPPORTED
and if a privacy screen is registered then PRIVACY_UNSUPPORTED must
never be set.