liboutput: thoughts about shared library on top of DRM/KMS

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Oct 5 16:09:11 UTC 2019

During XDC this year, we heard a few presentations and had a lot of
hallway talk about sharing code for driving DRM/KMS for display.

I think the general consensus is that there is enough shared
functionality between all of the various DRM/KMS clients that we can
start thinking about building a library that deals with the complexity
of DRM/KMS and can help take full advantage of the hardware.

I've started writing up some ideas, mostly just goals, but also some
random thoughts about how this might work. This is all in the
'liboutput' project on freedesktop.org:

        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/liboutput

I picked a spot in the 'xorg' namespace, not to confine this to X
systems, but to reflect the goal that this be a library shared across
all x.org-related projects, including Wayland compositors, EGL and
Vulkan direct applications and the X server.

All there is at this point is a README.md file; I'd like to generate
some consensus on a direction for the project before we start writing
any actual design documents.

Please submit MRs to that repo, or respond to this email as you prefer.

--
-keith