liboutput: thoughts about shared library on top of DRM/KMS

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Oct 6 01:12:25 UTC 2019

Robert Foss <robert.foss at collabora.com> writes:

> Hey Keith,
>
> Thanks for setting this up, and picking a descriptive project name :)
>
> How is liboutput going to relate to the libliftoff[1] project?

We heard about libliftoff at XDC. It sounds like it does the plane
selection stuff, including searching for configurations that support
'most' of what the user asked for while passing back a list of 'uh,
these didn't fit'. That sounds like a good foundation for liboutput.

I think we want a bit more, including things like render-based
operations for compositing fallback, format conversion, transforms,
PRIME support etc. I think we might also want to be able to create
pseudo outputs (to memory only) for things like virtualization and
testing.

Mostly, I heard lots of ideas at XDC about more we might do to share
code between DRM/KMS users, especially compositors.

I'd love to keep the conversation going and see if we can generate a
solid set of shared goals, then put together some kind of architecture
and bits of code to see what might work.

--
-keith