New sysfs interface for privacy screens

Rajat Jain rajatja at google.com
Mon Oct 7 19:31:08 UTC 2019

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 9:19 AM Mat King <mathewk at google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 7:09 AM Sean Paul <seanpaul at chromium.org> wrote:

> > /snip
> >

> > > So my proposal would now be to add a new standard property to
> > > drm_connector called "privacy_screen" this property would be an enum
> > > which can take one of three values.
> > >
> > > PRIVACY_UNSUPPORTED - Privacy is not available for this connector
> > > PRIVACY_DISABLED - Privacy is available but turned off
> > > PRIVACY_ENABLED - Privacy is available and turned on
> >
> > Agree with Jani, use the property presence to determine if it's supported
>
> That makes sense; just to confirm can a property be added or removed
> after the connector is registered?
>

> > > When the connector is initized the privacy screen property is set to
> > > PRIVACY_UNSUPPORTED and cannot be changed unless a drm_privacy_screen
> > > is registered to the connector. drm_privacy_screen will look something
> > > like
> > >
> > > struct drm_privacy_screen_ops {
> > >     int (*get_privacy_state)(struct drm_privacy_screen *);
> > >     int (*set_privacy_state)(struct drm_privacy_screen *, int);
> > > }
> > >
> > > struct drm_privacy_screen {
> > >     /* The privacy screen device */
> > >     struct device *dev;
> > >
> > >     /* The connector that the privacy screen is attached */
> > >     struct drm_connector *connector;
> > >
> > >     /* Ops to get and set the privacy screen state */
> > >     struct drm_privacy_screen_ops *ops;
> > >
> > >     /* The current state of the privacy screen */
> > >     int state;
> > > }
> > >
> > > Privacy screen device drivers will call a function to register the
> > > privacy screen with the connector.
> >
> > Do we actually need dedicated drivers for privacy screen? It seems
> > like something that is panel-specific hardware, so I'd suggest just
> > using the panel driver.
>
> The privacy screen is physically part of the display but the control
> interface, at least in all current use cases, is ACPI. Is there a way
> to control an ACPI device with the panel driver?

I feel that doing it in a dedicated driver has the advantage that if
we can standardise the control interface, it can be used across
different panels. So a new panel can be supported using the existing
driver by merely instantiating the right ACPI HID "privacy screen"
device as a child device of the parent display / panel device. This
parent-child relation would also give the kernel the connection needed
about "which display does this privacy screen attach to". In future,if
non-x86 platforms need the feature using a different control interface
(say via a GPIO driver), the privacy screen driver can be updated to
support that also.

Thanks,

Rajat