[Intel-gfx] [PULL] drm-misc-next

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Tue Oct 22 07:01:47 UTC 2019

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 4:17 AM Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 at 01:49, Sean Paul <sean at poorly.run> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 4:11 AM Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen at ti.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,

> > > There were new review rounds for the series this summer & autumn, but
> > > no, nothing else. I haven't specifically pinged anyone about the UAPI
> > > changes.
> > >
> > > This series introduces three new flags to an already existing UAPI, and,
> > > for whatever reason, this didn't register to me as a new UAPI, even if
> > > Laurent asked about it some years back.
> > >
> > > So, my mistake.
> > >
> > > The flags are added in a single patch, so I can easily push a revert for
> > > that if this patch is not acceptable. The rest of the series is cleanup.
> > >

> > I'll wait for Dave or Daniel to weigh in on whether they want to take
> > this, otherwise I'll revert before sending the next pull and we can
> > have this conversation on the review.
>
> I'd rather we revert it, just to stick to some semblance of the rules,
> otherwise if we make execptions other people will drive trucks through
> them.

Imo we have driven a truck through the "it's not really new uapi, only
a new flag/field/type added to existing uapi" + "it's obvious this is
the right thing", it's how we got a metric ton of questionable kms
properties.

Also for this case specifically, I'm not seeing why we can't follow
the usual rules:
- lots of gem drivers have buffer allocation/placement hints (it's
kinda the thing ttm is for ...), and they all found some userspace for
it
- _PIN looks suspicious, imo the proper approach is something like
amdgpu's per-ctx persistent working set, which gives you the "look no
pin" fastpath while still being able to manage buffers for real. That
one also yells at you with ENOMEM if the memory doesn't exist, at
alloc time.

tldr; I concur

Cheers, Daniel
--