etnaviv: [Q] regarding changes between linux kernel 4.17.17 and 5.3

Gert Wollny gw.fossdev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 16:45:15 UTC 2019

Hello,

I'm trying to update from the kernel 4.17.17 to 5.3 on a Utilite pro
(GC2000) but I'm running a bit into trouble:

When on 4.17.17 I can run X11 with the armada driver and I get proper
OpenGL, with 5.3, the same user space, and the same kernel config
querying the chip specs via

   drmCommandWriteRead(conn->fd, DRM_ETNAVIV_GET_PARAM,
                       &req, sizeof(req)))

fails, and consequently no HW acceleration is available and only
llvmpipe is used.

Similarly, when I try to run weston it works on 4.17.17 with

  weston -B drm-backend.so --drm-device=card1

but with kernel 5.3 I get a message

  "DRM device 'card1' is not a KMS device

and initializations failes. Trying card0 also fails, it tries to fall
back to llvmpipe and then things fail because of a llvmpipe  bug with
"Coroutines Splitting" missing.

Anyway, before I have to start to bisect the kernel, I'd like to ask
whether someone has an idea what could go wrong there?

many thanks in advance

Gert