Adreno crash on i.MX53 running 5.3-rc6

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 22:30:05 UTC 2019

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 12:05 PM Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 10:03 AM Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > TBH, the use of map/unmap looked reasonable in the context of
> > > "start/stop using these pages for stuff which may include DMA", so even
> > > if it was cheekily ignoring sg->dma_address I'm not sure I'd really
> > > consider it "abuse" - in comparison, using sync without a prior map
> > > unquestionably violates the API, and means that CONFIG_DMA_API_DEBUG
> > > will be rendered useless with false positives if this driver is active
> > > while trying to debug something else.
> > >
> > > The warning referenced in 0036bc73ccbe represents something being
> > > unmapped which didn't match a corresponding map - from what I can make
> > > of get_pages()/put_pages() it looks like that would need msm_obj->flags
> > > or msm_obj->sgt to change during the lifetime of the object, neither of
> > > which sounds like a thing that should legitimately happen. Are you sure
> > > this isn't all just hiding a subtle bug elsewhere? After all, if what
> > > was being unmapped wasn't right, who says that what's now being synced is?
> > >

> > Correct, msm_obj->flags/sgt should not change.
> >
> > I reverted the various patches, and went back to the original setup
> > that used dma_{map,unmap}_sg() to reproduce the original issue that
> > prompted the change in the first place.  It is a pretty massive flood
> > of splats, which pretty quickly overflowed the dmesg ring buffer, so I
> > might be missing some things, but I'll poke around some more.
> >
> > The one thing I wonder about, what would happen if the buffer is
> > allocated and dma_map_sg() called before drm/msm attaches it's own
> > iommu_domains, and then dma_unmap_sg() afterwards.  We aren't actually
> > ever using the iommu domain that DMA API is creating for the device,
> > so all the extra iommu_map/unmap (and tlb flush) is at best
> > unnecessary.  But I'm not sure if it could be having some unintended
> > side effects that cause this sort of problem.
> >

> it seems like every time (or at least every time we splat), we end up
> w/ iova=fffffffffffff000 .. which doesn't sound likely to be right.
> Although from just looking at the dma-iommu.c code, I'm not sure how
> this happens.  And adding some printk's results in enough traces that
> I can't boot for some reason..

Ok, I see better what is going on.. at least on the kernel that I'm
using on the yoga c630 laptop, where I have a patch[1] to skip domain
attach.  That results in to_smmu_domain(domain)->pgtbl_ops being null,
so arm_smmu_map() fails.  So we skip __finalise_sg() which sets the
sg_dma_address().  Which causes the failure on unmap.

That said, I'm pretty sure I've seen (or had reported) a similar splat
(although maybe not so frequent) on devices without that patch (where
the bootloader isn't enabling scanout).  I'll have to switch over to a
different device that doesn't light up display from bootloader, so
that I can drop that skip-domain-attach patch

All that said, this would be much easier if I could do the cache
operations without all this unneeded iommu stuff.  (Not to mention the
unnecessary TLB flushes that I suspect are also happening.)

[1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11038793/

BR,
-R