RFC: IOCTL to label BO in DRM Core

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Thu Sep 12 19:11:56 UTC 2019

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 7:57 PM Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net> wrote:

> Rohan Garg <rohan.garg at collabora.com> writes:
>
> > [ Unknown signature status ]
> > Hi
> > I'm investigating a way to label BO's in panfrost, similar to how VC4 does it
> > and realised that this could be something that's might be useful to all
> > drivers.
> >
> > With that in mind, would anyone be opposed to add a DRM_IOCTL_BO_SET_LABEL in
> > DRM core that can be utilised by all drivers to label BO's?
>
> I would love to see something shared.  msm has an object labeling
> interface as well.
>
> vc4's had some overengineering due to wanting to keep a bucketed-by-name
> usage list so we could dump that when we ran out of memory or from
> debugfs.  I think something much simpler would be better.

I think there's even some patches floating to lift this to the dma-buf
level (at least for output ind debugfs), but we'd still need a generic
thing at the drm_gem_bo level. If we can subsume at least some of the
existing ioctls (with a thin wrapper) to this new thing I'm all for
it.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter