HDCP Content Type Interface

Harry Wentland hwentlan at amd.com
Thu Sep 12 19:19:43 UTC 2019

On 2019-09-12 10:49 a.m., Ramalingam C wrote:
> On 2019-09-12 at 14:23:05 +0000, Harry Wentland wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As you mentioned, uAPI is designed to be HDCP version agnostic. Kernel
>>> supposed to exercise the highest version of HDCP supported on panel and
>>> platform.
>>>
>>> As we implement the HDCP spec support, if a device is non-compliant with
>>> HDCP spec after completing the HDCP authentication, I dont think we need
>>> to worry about it.
>>>

>> Tell that to our (or your) customers.
>>
>> In this case an enduser might plug in a bad monitor or TV and be unable
>> to play protected content.
>>
>> What if we add a new enum value to the content_type property that says
>> "DRM_MODE_HDCP_CONTENT_TYPE_FORCE_14"?
> "content type" is for defining the stream type. Adding an entry into it
> sounds like polluting it.

For sure

> Separate uAPI for forcing a HDCP version might be need. Or wondering on
> using the sysfs of connector for this dirty job!?

Did a bit more digging...

On other OS we got a monitor quirk for a few displays and also something
similar to a module parameter to force disable HDCP 2.x support.

It looks like there aren't too many quirky receivers so that might be an
acceptable solution. I'm still thinking a connector property might be
useful to force a certain HDCP version but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Harry