How to handle disconnection of eDP panels due to dynamic display mux switches

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Apr 2 12:00:56 UTC 2020

Hi Daniel (another one!),

On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 at 08:18, Daniel Dadap <ddadap at nvidia.com> wrote:
> > I primarily asked about vgaswitcheroo since you didn't mention it at all.
>
> I had actually anticipated that vga-switcheroo would likely be
> suggested, and my first draft of my initial message had a lengthy
> explanation about why vga-switcheroo (in its current state) isn't
> suitable, but figured it would be better to simplify the problem
> statement and then discuss switcheroo's limitations if and when it came
> up in discussion.

Luckily, it isn't immutable! cf. https://lwn.net/Articles/443531/

I'd like to reiterate this from Jani as well:
> I think lying to the userspace in this case is a hack to enable a very
> specific use case. Of course it's going to seem easier if you're only
> looking at enabling that narrowly defined feature. But usually the hacks
> end up being restrictions that make future work harder.

I understand the motivation to keep things as tightly contained as
possible, but we already have enough complexity that it's important to
avoid magic functionality that is totally transparent and handled
without anyone needing to know, except for when it isn't actually
transparent and people do need to specifically handle it and then it's
a really spiky corner of API.

Cheers,
Daniel