Curtaining API / Force blanking displays

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Apr 7 07:57:03 UTC 2020

Hi Erik,

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 at 20:01, Erik Jensen <rkjnsn at google.com> wrote:
> > Screen scraping like that will have big problems trying to a)
> > synchronize to the display updates correctly (was the screen
> > updated, did you get old or new frame, and you have to poll rather
> > than be notified), and b) synchronizing framebuffer reads vs.
> > writes (is the display server re-using the buffer when you are
> > still reading it). You also get to handle each KMS plane
> > individually.
>
> We're not too concerned with every frame being perfect, as long as
> there aren't frequent annoying artifacts and the user receives
> feedback to typing and mouse movement in a reasonable amount of time.
> (Think browsing the web, not playing a video game.) I'll play around
> with ffmpeg's kmsgrab and see what we might expect on that front.
> Obviously we'd have to handle the hardware cursor in addition to the
> primary plane at the very least. Not sure how common video overlays
> are these days? It seems most players render via GL, now.

A lot, but not all. X11 makes that the only reasonable choice thanks
to its compositing design, but Wayland makes it possible to handle
video externally, and that is what is encouraged.

> > You have to adapt to what the display server does and you have no
> > way to negotiate better configurations. The framebuffers could be
> > tiled and/or compressed, and quite likely are the kind of memory
> > that is very slow to read by CPU, at least directly.
>
> Yeah, I see ffmpeg has some examples of feeding frames through VAAPI
> to handle situations where the buffer isn't CPU mapped. Maybe
> EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import could also be useful here?

Don't forget modifiers!

> > The curtaining goes against the policy that the current DRM master
> > is in full control of the display. It also means the kernel has to
> > lie to the DRM master to make the display server unaware of the
> > funny business, and I don't like that at all.
>
> The hope was that this could be done without interfering with the DRM
> master at all. The DRM master could still control resolutions,
> displays, determine which CRTCs go to what outputs, et cetera. It's
> just that the content wouldn't actually be visible on the screen while
> curtaining was enabled, conceptually similarly to if the physical
> displays themselves were configured not to display anything (e.g.,
> switched to a different input, or brightness set to zero), which also
> wouldn't affect output and mode selection.
>
> If this could be implemented in a relatively simple way (i.e.,
> curtaining sets a flag that suppresses the actual scan out to the
> display, but everything else stays the same), it seems like it could
> be a worthwhile avenue to explore. On the other hand, if it requires
> adding a lot of complexity (e.g., maintaining a completely separate
> physical configuration for the graphics card and "shadow"
> configuration to report to the DRM master), I would certainly concur
> that it doesn't make sense to do. Which is closer to the truth is one
> of the things I was hoping to find out from this e-mail.

I think you just end up inventing too much fake hardware in the
kernel. If you handle curtaining by requiring the screen to be on and
showing a black buffer, you have to allocate and show that (not as
trivial as you might hope), and then keep a whole set of shadow state.
If you handle it by having the CRTC be off, you have to spin a fake
vblank loop in a shadow CRTC. I don't think this is something we would
really want to keep.

> > I believe it would much better to cooperate with display servers
> > than trying to bypass and fool them. Maybe look towards Pipewire at
> > least for the screen capturing API?
>
> I agree that this could create a better experience for some use cases
> if supported by all components. Unfortunately, the variety of
> graphical login managers, display servers, and desktop environments
> with different amounts of resources and priorities means that coming
> up with a solution that works for all of them seems untenable. It
> would also preclude being able to use the console remotely.
>
> [... separate sessions aren't viable ...]
>
> Our hope is that interacting at the kernel level can avoid all of
> these issues, especially given that frame grabbing (albeit imperfect)
> and input injection are already supported by the kernel, with
> curtaining being the only thing that does not already have an existing
> interface.

Well, it solves the issue of needing to fix userspace, but it
definitely leaves you with a worse experience.

Userspace has largely standardised on PipeWire for remote streaming,
which also handles things like hardware encoding for you, if desired.
This is used in the xdg-desktop-portal (as used by GNOME, Flatpak,
Chromium, Firefox, others) in particular, and implemented by many
desktop environments. I think continuing to push the userspace
side-channel is a far more viable long-term path. I would suggest
starting with a single target desktop environment to design exemplary
use and semantics, and then pushing that out into other environments
as you come to rely on them.

Cheers,
Daniel