[RFC 0/6] Regressions for "imply" behavior change

Jason Gunthorpe jgg at ziepe.ca
Thu Apr 16 18:21:06 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 11:12:56AM -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2020, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 12:17 PM Jani Nikula
> > <jani.nikula at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> > > Ah, perfect bikeshedding topic!
> > >
> > > Perhaps "uses"? If the dependency is enabled it gets used as a
> > > dependency.
> >
> > That seems to be the best naming suggestion so far
>
> What I don't like about "uses" is that it doesn't convey the conditional
> dependency. It could be mistaken as being synonymous to "select".
>
> What about "depends_if" ? The rationale is that this is actually a
> dependency, but only if the related symbol is set (i.e. not n or empty).

I think that stretches the common understanding of 'depends' a bit too
far.. A depends where the target can be N is just too strange.

Somthing incorporating 'optional' seems like a better choice
'optionally uses' seems particularly clear and doesn't overload
existing works like depends or select

Jason