DRM/KMS experimental drivers for HiKey 970

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed Aug 5 09:34:54 UTC 2020

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 10:51 AM Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab+huawei at kernel.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been working to get upstream support for the DRM driver on HiKey 970.
>
> While the patches are not ready yet for upstream merge, I'm placing
> what I've sone so far on this repository:
>
>         https://github.com/mchehab/linux/tree/hikey970/to_upstream-2.0-v1.1
>
> The drivers there are a port from the Linaro's HiKey official Kernel:
>
>         https://github.com/96boards-hikey/linux
>
> The patches there preserve the old history. The porting patches
> are applied after the original patches imported from that tree.
>
> Besides the DRM driver, this repository contains:
>
> - a PMIC/regulator driver;
> - an iommu driver (still requiring some changes at DT properties);
> - A DMA driver;
> - a small ugly hack reverting some PM changes at the WiFi driver,
>   causing a regression on this board for HiKey 970.
>
> My current plans are to start upstreaming those needed drivers.
>
> The KMS/DRM driver there still need some changes. I guess it is
> not ready for being upstreamed yet. Also, it depends on the
> other drivers to work.
>
> In particular, its support for DPMS is broken: if the monitor is
> suspended, it won't return back to the right frequency settings.

Hm this is somewhat surprising, at least with atomic, since DPMS as a
separate thing doesn't exist anymore - it's the same path as any other
modeset. With the suspend/resume helpers even the same as after
resume. But of course in reality there's always potential for some
differences between boot-up state and what your atomic_disable leaves
behind to creep in.

Just figured I drop this in quickly, always great to have more hw
drivers showing up!

Cheers, Daniel

> Feel free to test it and send me patches fixing things there :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Mauro

Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation