[git pull] drm for 5.8-rc1

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Wed Aug 12 12:37:52 UTC 2020

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 8:24 AM Karol Herbst <kherbst at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 12:43 PM Karol Herbst <kherbst at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > I don't know if that's caused by your changes or not, but now the
> > > assert I hit is a different one pointing out that
> > > nvc0_miptree_select_best_modifier fails in a certain case and returns
> > > MOD_INVALID... anyway, it seems like with your patches applied it's
> > > now way easier to debug and figure out what's going wrong, so maybe I
> > > can figure it out now :)
> > >

> > collected some information which might help to track it down.
> >
> > src/gallium/frontends/dri/dri2.c:648 is the assert hit: assert(*zsbuf)
> >
> > templ is {reference = {count = 0}, width0 = 300, height0 = 300, depth0
> > = 1, array_size = 1, format = PIPE_FORMAT_Z24X8_UNORM, target =
> > PIPE_TEXTURE_2D, last_level = 0, nr_samples = 0, nr_storage_samples =
> > 0, usage = 0, bind = 1, flags = 0, next = 0x0, screen = 0x0}
> >
> > inside tegra_screen_resource_create modifier says
> > DRM_FORMAT_MOD_INVALID as template->bind is 1
> >
> > and nvc0_miptree_select_best_modifier returns DRM_FORMAT_MOD_INVALID,
> > so the call just returns NULL leading to the assert.
> >
> > Btw, this is on Xorg-1.20.8-1.fc32.aarch64 with glxgears.
> >

> So I digged a bit deeper and here is what tripps it of:
>
> when the context gets made current, the normal framebuffer validation
> and render buffer allocation is done, but we end up inside
> tegra_screen_resource_create at some point with PIPE_BIND_SCANOUT set
> in template->bind. Now the tegra driver forces the
> DRM_FORMAT_MOD_LINEAR modifier and calls into
> resource_create_with_modifiers.
>
> If it wouldn't do that, nouveau would allocate a tiled buffer, with
> that it's linear and we at some point end up with an assert about a
> depth_stencil buffer being there even though it shouldn't. If I always
> use DRM_FORMAT_MOD_INVALID in tegra_screen_resource_create, things
> just work.
>
> That's kind of the cause I pinpointed the issue down to. But I have no
> idea what's supposed to happen and what the actual bug is.

Yeah, the bug with tegra has always been "trying to render to linear
color + tiled depth", which the hardware plain doesn't support. (And
linear depth isn't a thing.)

Question is whether what it's doing necessary. PIPE_BIND_SCANOUT
(/linear) requirements are needed for DRI2 to work (well, maybe not in
theory, but at least in practice the nouveau ddx expects linear
buffers). However tegra operates on a more DRI3-like basis, so with
"client" allocations, tiled should work OK as long as there's
something in tegra to copy it to linear when necessary?

  -ilia