[RFC] Experimental DMA-BUF Device Heaps

James Jones jajones at nvidia.com
Sun Aug 23 22:53:50 UTC 2020

On 8/23/20 1:46 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 01:04:43PM -0700, James Jones wrote:

>>> Here is it:
>>>
>>> https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/7/contributions/818/
>>>
>>> It would be great to see you there and discuss this,
>>> given I was hoping we could talk about how to meet a
>>> userspace allocator library expectations as well.
>>
>> Thanks!  I hadn't registered for LPC and it looks like it's sold out,
>> but I'll try to watch the live stream.
>>
>> This is very interesting, in that it looks like we're both trying to
>> solve roughly the same set of problems but approaching it from different
>> angles.  From what I gather, your approach is that a "heap" encompasses
>> all the allocation constraints a device may have.
>>
>> The approach Simon Ser and I are tossing around so far is somewhat
>> different, but may potentially leverage dma-buf heaps a bit as well.
>>
>> Our approach looks more like what I described at XDC a few years ago,
>> where memory constraints for a given device's usage of an image are
>> exposed up to applications, which can then somehow perform boolean
>> intersection/union operations on them to arrive at a common set of
>> constraints that describe something compatible with all the devices &
>> usages desired (or fail to do so, and fall back to copying things around
>> presumably).  I believe this is more flexible than your initial proposal
>> in that devices often support multiple usages (E.g., different formats,
>> different proprietary layouts represented by format modifiers, etc.),
>> and it avoids adding a combinatorial number of heaps to manage that.
>>
>> In my view, heaps are more like blobs of memory that can be allocated
>> from in various different ways to satisfy constraints.  I realize heaps
>> mean something specific in the dma-buf heap design (specifically,
>> something closer to an association between an "allocation mechanism" and
>> "physical memory"), but I hope we don't have massive heap/allocator
>> mechanism proliferation due to constraints alone.  Perhaps some
>> constraints, such as contiguous memory or device-local memory, are
>> properly expressed as a specific heap, but consider the proliferation
>> implied by even that simple pair of examples: How do you express
>> contiguous device-local memory?  Do you need to spawn two heaps on the
>> underlying device-local memory, one for contiguous allocations and one
>> for non-contiguous allocations?  Seems excessive.
>>
>> Of course, our approach also has downsides and is still being worked on.
>>    For example, it works best in an ideal world where all the allocators
>> available understand all the constraints that exist.
>
> Shouldn't allocators be decoupled of constraints ? In my imagination I
> see devices exposing constraints, and allocators exposing parameters,
> with a userspace library to reconcile the constraints and produce
> allocator parameters from them.

Perhaps another level of abstraction would help.  I'll have to think
about that.

However, as far as I can tell, it wouldn't remove the need to
communicate a lot of constraints from multiple engines/devices/etc. to
the allocator (likely a single allocator.  I'd be interested to know if
anyone has a design that effectively uses multiple allocators to satisfy
a single allocation request, but I haven't come up with a good one)
somehow.  Either the constraints are directly used as the parameters, or
there's a translation/second level of abstraction, but either way much
of the information needs to make it to the allocator, or represent the
need to use a particular allocator.  Simple things like pitch and offset
alignment can be done without help from a kernel-level allocator, but
others such as cache coherency, physical memory bank placement, or
device-local memory will need to make it all the way down to the kernel
some how I believe.

Thanks,
-James