[patch 03/30] genirq: Move irq_set_lockdep_class() to core

Andy Shevchenko andy.shevchenko at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 13:22:14 UTC 2020

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 12:07 AM Thomas Gleixner <tglx at linutronix.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 11 2020 at 22:08, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> > You are right. Let me fix that.
>
> No. I have to correct myself. You're wrong.
>
> The inline is evaluated in the compilation units which include that
> header and because the function declaration is unconditional it is
> happy.
>
> Now the optimizer stage makes the whole thing a NOOP if CONFIG_LOCKDEP=n
> and thereby drops the reference to the function which makes it not
> required for linking.
>
> So in the file where the function is implemented:
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_LOCKDEP
> void __irq_set_lockdep_class(....)
> {
> }
> #endif
>
> The whole block is either discarded because CONFIG_LOCKDEP is not
> defined or compile if it is defined which makes it available for the
> linker.
>
> And in the latter case the optimizer keeps the call in the inline (it
> optimizes the condition away because it's always true).
>
> So in both cases the compiler and the linker are happy and everything
> works as expected.
>
> It would fail if the header file had the following:
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_LOCKDEP
> void __irq_set_lockdep_class(....);
> #endif
>
> Because then it would complain about the missing function prototype when
> it evaluates the inline.

I understand that (that's why I put "if even no warning") and what I'm
talking about is the purpose of IS_ENABLED(). It's usually good for
compile testing !CONFIG_FOO cases. But here it seems inconsistent.

The pattern I usually see in the cases like this is

 #ifdef CONFIG_LOCKDEP
 void __irq_set_lockdep_class(....);
 #else
 static inline void ... {}