[Freedreno] [v1] drm/msm/dsi/pll: call vco set rate explicitly

harigovi at codeaurora.org harigovi at codeaurora.org
Tue Feb 11 05:58:12 UTC 2020

On 2020-02-07 19:40, Jeffrey Hugo wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 5:38 AM <harigovi at codeaurora.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 2020-02-06 20:29, Jeffrey Hugo wrote:

>> > Is this specific to certain SoCs? I don't think I've observed this.
>>
>> As far as Qualcomm SOCs are concerned, since pll is analog and the
>> value
>> is directly read from hardware if we get recalc value same as set rate
>> value, the vco_set_rate will not be invoked. We checked in our idp
>> device which has the same SOC but it works there since the rates are
>> different.
>
> This doesn't seem to be an answer to my question.  What Qualcomm SoCs
> does this issue apply to?  Everything implementing the 10nm pll?  One
> specific SoC?  I don't believe I've seen this on MSM8998, nor SDM845,
> so I'm interested to know what is the actual impact here.  I don't see
> an "IDP" SoC in the IP catalog, so I really have no idea what you are
> referring to.

This is not 10nm specific. It is applicable for other nms also.
Its specific to the frequency being set. If vco_recalc returns the same
value as being set by vco_set_rate,
vco_set_rate will not be invoked second time onwards.

For example: Lets take below devices:

Cheza is based on SDM845 which is 10nm only.
Clk frequency:206016
dsi_pll_10nm_vco_set_rate - DSI PLL0 rate=1236096000
dsi_pll_10nm_vco_recalc_rate - DSI PLL0 returning vco rate = 1236095947

Trogdor is based on sc7180 which is also 10nm.
Clk frequency:69300
dsi_pll_10nm_vco_set_rate - DSI PLL0 rate=1663200000
dsi_pll_10nm_vco_recalc_rate - DSI PLL0 returning vco rate = 1663200000

In same trogdor device, we slightly changed the clock frequency and the
values actually differ which will not cause any issue.
Clk frequency:69310
dsi_pll_10nm_vco_set_rate - DSI PLL0 rate=1663440000
dsi_pll_10nm_vco_recalc_rate - DSI PLL0 returning vco rate = 1663439941