PROBLEM: kernel oops caused by vmwgfx_cmdbuf.c:399

Carle, Peter Peter.Carle at trojans.dsu.edu
Tue Jul 7 15:43:15 UTC 2020

Good morning! Line 399 of vmwgfx_cmdbuf.c apparently causes a kernel oops that freezes the OS during boot-time.

Here is the full line of the summary as reported by the Fedora notification system:

---

WARNING: CPU: 2 PID: 414 at drivers/gpu/drm/vmwgfx/vmwgfx_cmdbuf.c:399 vmw_cmdbuf_ctx_process+0x262/0x270 [vmwgfx]

---

This problem started with Fedora 32's recent upgrade to kernel version 5.7 on July 2nd. It does not exist in kernel version 5.6.

The problem occurs with Fedora running within VMware Workstation Pro on a Windows 10 host. It does not occur with VirtualBox.

When I attempt to boot the VM, it freezes with a black screen after getting past the initial boot screen.

I have included screenshots of the full error report from the notification system, since it was having trouble exporting it to text format. Probably the most pertinent screenshots are vmwgfx_crash.PNG and coredump_dmesg.PNG.

Thank you!