[Intel-gfx] sw_sync deadlock avoidance, take 3

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Jul 15 11:47:15 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 at 12:05, Bas Nieuwenhuizen <bas at basnieuwenhuizen.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:
> > Maybe now is the time to ask: are you using sw_sync outside of
> > validation?
>
> Yes, this is used as part of the Android stack on Chrome OS (need to
> see if ChromeOS specific, but
> https://source.android.com/devices/graphics/sync#sync_timeline
> suggests not)

Android used to mandate it for their earlier iteration of release
fences, which was an empty/future fence having no guarantee of
eventual forward progress until someone committed work later on. For
example, when you committed a buffer to SF, it would give you an empty
'release fence' for that buffer which would only be tied to work to
signal it when you committed your _next_ buffer, which might never
happen. They removed that because a) future fences were a bad idea,
and b) it was only ever useful if you assumed strictly
FIFO/round-robin return order which wasn't always true.

So now it's been watered down to 'use this if you don't have a
hardware timeline', but why don't we work with Android people to get
that removed entirely?

Cheers,
Daniel