pages pinned for BO lifetime and security

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Wed Jul 22 10:36:00 UTC 2020

Am 22.07.20 um 09:46 schrieb Daniel Vetter:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:19 AM Christian König
> <christian.koenig at amd.com> wrote:
>> Am 22.07.20 um 02:22 schrieb Gurchetan Singh:
>>> Of the desktop GPU drivers, i915's shrinker certainly supports purging
>>> to swap.  TTM is a bit hard to follow.  I can't really tell if amdgpu
>>> or nouveau supports that.  virtio-gpu is more commonly found on
>>> systems with swaps so I think it should follow the desktop practices?
>>
>> What we do at least in the amdgpu, radeon, i915 and nouveau is to only allow it for scanout and that in turn is limited by the physical number of CRTCs on the board.
> Somewhat aside, but I'm not sure the ttm shrinker really works like
> that. I think there's two parts:
> 1. kernel thread which takes buffers and unbinds them when we're over
> the ttm global limit. This is the ttm_shrink_work stuff, and it only
> shrinks if the zone is over a hard limit. Below that it just leaves
> buffers pinned.
>
> 2. Actual core mm shrinker, which releases buffers held in cache by
> ttm_page_alloc_dma.c. But that only happens when buffers have been
> unbound by the first thread, so anything below those hard limits is
> not shrinkable. And iirc those hard limits are like half of system
> memory or so (last time I looked through this stuff at least).
>
> No idea why exactly things are like they are, since the first thread
> already does a dma_resv_trylock, and that's enough to avoid locking
> inversions when being called from 2. Or well, should be at least, for
> reasonable driver design.

Yes, that's currently a bit messy in TTM and not such a good design over
all.

> The only other thing I'm seeing is the global lru, but that could be
> fixed by having a per-device core mm shrinker instance which directly
> shrinks the per-device lru. And then we just globally balance like
> with all shrinkers through the core mm "shrink everyone equally"
> approach. You can even keep the separate page alloc shrinker, since
> core mm always loops over all shrinkers - we're not the only ones
> where shrinking one cache makes more memory available for another
> cache to shrink, e.g. you can't throw out an inode without first
> throwing out all the dentry pointing at them.

My plan is to replace all this with an explicit SWAP domain for buffer
objects.

One idea was to make the SYSTEM and SWAP domain global and express all
this with transits between the different domains. But having one
shrinker per device sounds like an even better idea now.

> Another problem would be allocating memory while holding per-device
> lru locks (since trylock on such a global lock in shrinkers is a
> really bad idea, we know that from all the dev->struct_mutex lolz in
> i915). But for ttm that's not a problem since all lru are spinlock, so
> only GFP_ATOMIC allowed anyway, hence no problem.

Yes, exactly.

Christian.