Dynamically change enumeration list of DRM enumeration property

Yogish Kulkarni yogishkulkarni at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 05:20:28 UTC 2020

Inline..

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 2:19 PM Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 09:22:27 +0530
> Yogish Kulkarni <yogishkulkarni at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > For letting DRM clients to select output encoding:
> > Sink can support certain display timings with high output bit-depths
> using
> > multiple output encodings, e.g. sink can support a particular timing with
> > RGB 10-bit, YCbCr422 10-bit and YCbCr420 10-bit. So DRM client may want
> > select YCbCr422 10-bit over RBG 10-bit output to reduce the link
> bandwidth
> > (and in turn reduce power/voltage). If DRM driver automatically selects
> > output encoding then we are restricting DRM clients from making
> appropriate
> > choice.
>
> Hi,
>
> right, that seems to be another reason.
>
> > For selectable output color range:
> > Certain applications (typically graphics) usually rendered in full range
> > while some applications (typically video) have limited range content.
> Since
> > content can change dynamically, DRM driver does not have enough
> information
> > to choose correct quantization. Only DRM client can correctly select
> which
> > quantization to set (to preserve artist's intent).
>
> Now this is an interesting topic for me. As far as I know, there is no
> window system protocol to tell the display server whether the
> application provided content is using full or limited range. This means
> that the display server cannot tell DRM about full vs. limited range
> either. It also means that when not fullscreen, the display server
> cannot show the limited range video content correctly, because it would
> have to be converted to full-range (or vice versa).
>
> Right, but there could be DRM client which doesn't use window system (e.g.
Gstreamer video sink) and wants to select between full/limited color range.
I agree that there is no window system protocol yet but maybe Wayland
protocol could be added/extended for this purpose once we finalize things
that needs to be done in DRM.

But why would an application produce limited range pixels anyway? Is it
> common that hardware video decoders are unable to produce full-range
> pixels?

The primary reason for why content producer masters video/gfx content as
limited range is for compatibility with sinks which only support limited
range, and not because video decoders are not capable of decoding
full-range content. Also, certain cinema-related content (e.g., movies) may
be better suited for limited range encoding due to the level of detail that
they need to present/hide (see "Why does limited RGB even exist?" section
in
https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/full-rgb-vs-limited-rgb-is-there-a-difference.html#:~:text=Full%20RGB%20means%20the%20ability,less%20dark)%20than%20full%20RGB
).

I am asking, because I have a request to add limited vs. full range
> information to Wayland.
>
> What about video sinks, including monitors? Are there devices that
> accept limited-range only, full-range only, or switchable?

Yes, there are sinks which support selectable quantization range and there
are sinks which don't. If the quantization range is not selectable, then in
general, sources should output full-range for IT timings, and output
limited for CE timings. At a high-level, IT timings are part of a standard
developed by VESA for computer monitor-like displays. CE (Consumer
Electronics) timings are a separate standard for timings more applicable to
sinks like consumer TVs, etc.

> Why not just always use full-range everywhere?
>
> Or if a sink supports only limited-range, have the display chip
> automatically convert from full-range, so that software doesn't have to
> convert in software.

I think it is ok to convert from limited range to full range in display HW
pipeline. By "automatically" if you mean display HW or DRM driver should
look at the content to figure out whether it is limited range content and
then program display pipeline to do the conversion, I don't think that is a
good idea since we would need to inspect each pixel. Also, there may be
some post-processing done to full-range content that happens to cause the
pixel component values to fall within the limited quantization range. How
about adding a new DRM KMS plane property to let client convey the driver
about input content range? More details on this below.

> If you actually have a DRM KMS property for the range, does it mean that:
> - the sink is configured to accept that range, and the pixels in the
>   framebuffer need to comply, or
> - the display chip converts to that range while framebuffer remains in
>   full-range?

I would imagine this as:
(1) Add new read DRM KMS connector property which DRM client will read to
know whether sink support selectable quantization range.
(2) Add new read/write DRM KMS connector property which DRM client will
write to set output quantization range and read to know the current output
quantization range.
(3) Add new read/write DRM KMS plane property which DRM client will write
to set input quantization range and read to know the current input
quantization range.

Now lets say if client has limited range content that it wants to display
using limited range, it will perform below steps:
(A) Set plane's input range property to LIMITED.
(B) Set connector's output range property to LIMITED.
(C) Read connector property to know whether sink support selectable
quantization range:
       (i) If no, validate HW timing + output range (LIMITED) using atomic
test commit, if validation doesn't pass, client should choose another HW
timing and revalidate.
       (ii) if yes, it is not necessary to validate HW timing + output
range.

Now lets say if client has limited range content that it wants to display
using full range, it will perform below steps:
(A) Set plane's input range property to LIMITED
(B) Set connector's output range property to FULL
(C) Read connector property to know whether sink support selectable
quantization range:
       (i) if no, validate HW timing + output range (FULL) using atomic
test commit, if validation doesn't pass, client should choose another HW
timing and revalidate
       (ii) if yes, it is not necessary to validate HW timing + output
range.
In this example DRM driver will automatically set up display pipeline to do
limited to full-range conversion.

Out of the three new properties mentioned above there is another choice for
property (1): Instead of expecting client to read whether sink support
selectable quantization range and perform validations as mentioned above
when quantization range is not selectable, how about adding new flags to
drmModeModeInfo->flags and let DRM driver to inform client using this flag
whether given HW timing is supported with full range, limited range or
both? This will avoid validation step mentioned in (C)(i).

Let me know what you think about the overall proposal mentioned above. If
there is no strong disagreement about adding new DRM KMS properties for
output quantization range (and output encoding), I'll plan to start working
on the changes.

Thanks,
-Yogish