MIPI DSI, DBI, and tinydrm drivers

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 20:25:44 UTC 2020

Hi Noralf,

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 at 13:15, Noralf Trønnes <noralf at tronnes.org> wrote:

> Den 28.05.2020 17.27, skrev Emil Velikov:

> >> Do we have drivers with dbi support that actually want to reuse the
> >> tinydrm drivers? Good clean is all good, but we need a solid reason
> >> for changing stuff. Plus we need to make sure we're not just
> >> rediscovering all the old reasons for why we ended up where we are
> >> right now in the first place.

> > Coming late to the party - the series looks like a great step forward.

> >> Hm, do we have a summary of all the discussions/reasons from back
> >> then? All I remember is that it's all that simple, you've done a lot
> >> of work exploring all the options, I'm fairly sure I suggested
> >> drm_panel even back then but somehow it didn't really work. Would be
> >> good if we make sure we don't at least repeat history too much :-)
> >>
> > This pretty much ^^. Does anyone have a link/summary of the concerns?
> >

> I found the thread where you Emil suggested I look at drm_panel:
>
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2015-September/091215.html

Guilty as charged ;-)

Guess I should ask some silly questions first:
Was tinydrm modelled as a drm driver itself, because the idea of
drm_panel::update() callback seemed dirty? That's the only concern
raised that I can find on the list... It's effectively in the link you
provided.

As far as I can tell, first RFC was already using the tiny drm driver model.
https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/77161/

Yet again, do we actually need the callback? The mipi-dbi(?) spi
panels in panel/ get away w/o one, while pushing far more pixels onto
the screen (tiny has resolutions up-to 320x480, panel up-to 480x800).

That said, I'm a fan of lifting the tiny (panel) drivers into
drm-panel and exposing them via dbi-bus sounds reasonable IMHO. Seems
like Paul has the DT dbi/spi bus questions covered as well.

Patches illustrating his ideas would be more than welcome.

-Emil