valgrind-mmt: rebased against latest upstream valgrind release v3.16.1

Rhys Kidd rhyskidd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 23:47:57 UTC 2020

As an update to the nouveau development community, the downstream fork of
Valgrind with a mmap tracing tool ("mmt") we maintain has been rebased
against the latest upstream release of Valgrind, v3.16.1

Code branch: https://github.com/envytools/valgrind/tree/mmt-3.16.1

Features of upstream Valgrind 3.16.x:
https://www.valgrind.org/docs/manual/dist.news.html

In selected highlights, the benefits of tracking the latest version of
Valgrind is added support for AArch64 v8.1 and reduced memcheck false
positive rate on highly optimised code. There are, as ever, many smaller
refinements and bug fixes. v3.16.1 includes two bugs fixed after 3.16.0 was
frozen. As our downstream valgrind-mmt was last released against v3.14, we
also get the benefit of all bug fixes and features since then, including
that the RDRAND and F16C insn set extensions are now supported.

For anyone unfamiliar with valgrind-mmt, it is a userspace mmio tracer that
assists nouveau reverse engineering efforts by tracing the commands sent to
the card. There is an accompanying demmt tool within the enytools repo to
better understand these trace logs.

I would like to thank all the other nouveau developers who have worked on
mmt over many years, including specifically airlied, mslusarz and kherbst.

Best,
Rhys