[Intel-gfx] [Mesa-dev] gitlab.fd.o financial situation and impact on services

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Sun Mar 1 20:18:05 UTC 2020

I don't think we need to worry so much about the cost of CI that we need to
micro-optimize to to get the minimal number of CI runs. We especially
shouldn't if it begins to impact coffee quality, people's ability to merge
patches in a timely manner, or visibility into what went wrong when CI
fails. I've seen a number of suggestions which will do one or both of those
things including:

 - Batching merge requests
 - Not running CI on the master branch
 - Shutting off CI
 - Preventing CI on other non-MR branches
 - Disabling CI on WIP MRs
 - I'm sure there are more...

I think there are things we can do to make CI runs more efficient with some
sort of end-point caching and we can probably find some truly wasteful CI
to remove. Most of the things in the list above, I've seen presented by
people who are only lightly involved the project to my knowledge (no
offense to anyone intended).  Developers depend on the CI system for their
day-to-day work and hampering it will only show down development, reduce
code quality, and ultimately hurt our customers and community. If we're so
desperate as to be considering painful solutions which will have a negative
impact on development, we're better off trying to find more money.

--Jason