Variable Refresh Rate & flickering screens

Simon Ser contact at emersion.fr
Tue Mar 17 09:08:37 UTC 2020

On Thursday, March 12, 2020 3:43 PM, Harry Wentland <hwentlan at amd.com> wrote:

> Not the main VRR expert and we're still discussing this internally but I
> think it'll very much depend on the display whether you'll see flicker
> in this case.
>
> The other complication is that for gaming we don't want to use the
> cursor as a VRR trigger and only look at page flips in order to allow
> for smooth gameplay. For a desktop use-case that's probably not the
> right policy.

I think user-space can handle this and correctly synchronize cursor
updates with game updates via the KMS atomic API.

However I still think flickering should be avoided by the hardware.
Flickering is a completely separate issue and user-space shouldn't add
workarounds for screen issues like this.

Do you think that would be acceptable? Do you have any "slew rate
register" in AMD hardware?

Thanks,

Simon