Atomic KMS API lacks the ability to set cursor hot-spot coordinates

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 12:54:40 UTC 2020

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 12:52:14 +0100
Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> >> The video output has latency anyway.
> >
> > Sounds like you've never tried the two different modes yourself? :) IME
> > it makes a big difference even with a local VM. Even very little latency
> > can make the cursor feel awkward, like it's being held back by a rubber
> > band or something.
>
> Right not to mention that the latency may be variable, so the cursor
> moves in a jittery fashion instead of having it move smoothly
> matching the smooth way a user normally moves the mouse.
>
> This totally wrecks hand-eye coordination and is just plain awefull.

I have experienced it, and while it is painful, I prefer that pain over
the pain of accidentally clicking something that was not transmitted to
the remote display yet.

Therefore I think the best user experience is to use both types of
cursor at the same time: the remote desktop or VM viewer paints the
local cursor as an aid, like a phantom, and the cursor from inside the
VM is also visible with the latency it naturally has. That means I
could actually see that the screen has caught up with my motions before
I click something.

Thanks,
pq