[RFC v4 01/12] kthread: Add kthread_queue_flush_work()

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon May 11 15:02:58 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 4:49 PM Tejun Heo <tj at kernel.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 04:46:51PM -0400, Lyude Paul wrote:
> > +bool kthread_queue_flush_work(struct kthread_work *work,
> > +                           struct kthread_flush_work *fwork);
> > +void __kthread_flush_work_fn(struct kthread_work *work);
>
> As an exposed interface, this doesn't seem great. What the user wants to say
> is "wait for the current instance of this guy" and the interface is asking
> them to queue an extra work item whose queueing return state should be
> checked and depending on that result wait on its internal completion.
>
> I'm skeptical this is a good idea in general given that unless you define
> "this instance" at the time of queueing the work item which is being
> waited-upon, there's no way to guarantee that the instance you're queueing
> the flush work item on is the instance you want unless the queuer is holding
> external synchronization which prevents the instance from running. That's a
> really confusing semantics to expose in the interface.
>
> What the above means is that the ordering that you want is only defined
> through your own locking and that maybe suggests that the sequencing should
> be implemented on that side too. It may be a bit more code but a sequence
> counter + wait queue might be the better solution here.

Aside from this, flush_$stuff interfaces are very easy to deadlock.
That's why e.g. flush_work() for normal workqueues has lockdep
annotations (lockdep doesn't see through wait/wake_up dependencies
without some help because cross-release didn't land for real). So I
think if we need something like this, it needs to be a lot more
explicit, and come with the right lockdep annotations.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation