[RFC v2 0/1] drm/connector: Add support for privacy-screen properties

Rajat Jain rajatja at google.com
Tue May 12 17:38:11 UTC 2020

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 9:09 AM Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 5/12/20 4:20 PM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 May 2020 10:18:31 +0200
> > Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> I hope the new doc text makes things clear again?

Yes it does.

> >> We have the rule that code like this will not be merged until it has at least
> >> one in kernel user. I plan to eventually use this too, but that is still
> >> a while away as I first need to write a lcdshadow subsystem which the
> >> thinkpad_acpi code can then use to register a lcdshadow device; and when
> >> that all is in place, then I can hook it up on the drm code.

OK. In that case, sure, I will respin my patchset with this patch once
we have some more comments from Jani et al, and thus a newer iteration
of this patch.

> > Hi,
> >
> > I believe this falls under "new UAPI" rules, because this is adding new
> > KMS properties. Hence an in-kernel user is not enough:
> >
> > https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/gpu/drm-uapi.html#open-source-userspace-requirements

The chrome browser currently uses the API exposed by my (previous)
patchset to control privacy screen.
https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/master:ui/ozone/platform/drm/common/drm_util.cc;l=180?q=%22privacy-screen%22%20-f:third_party%2Fkernel%2Fv&originalUrl=https:%2F%2Fcs.chromium.org%2F

I know this doesn't help directly, but just to say that there are
users waiting to use an API that we release. If these changes are
accepted, I expect to see the change in browser again, to match the
new API,  although that will be not until we decide to uprev our
kernel again.

Thanks,

Rajat