drm state readout helpers

Ville Syrjälä ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com
Fri May 15 13:51:53 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 03:36:13PM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> [...]
> i915.
>
> I think minimally what you need is a drm_atomic_state_helper_readout()
> functions, which instead of resetting, allocates all the obj->state
> pointers and fills them out. For that I think the simplest is to add
> atomic_readout_state functions to crtc, connector and plane (if you
> want to take over the firmware fb allocation too), which take as
> parameter the object, and return the read-out state. Important, they
> must _not_ touch anything persistent, otherwise the following stuff
> here doesn't work.
>
> Next up is the challenge of bridges and encoders. If the goal is to
> properly shut down encoders/bridges, they also need their state. And
> on most hw, they need a mix of the crtc and connector state, so best
> to pass both of those (plus bridge state for bridges) to them. You can
> do that if we assume that connector_helper_funcs->atomic_readout_state
> sets the drm_connector_state->crtc pointer correctly. So the
> drm_atomic_state_helper_readout function would first loop through
> connectors and crtcs, and then loop through encoders and bridges to
> fill in the gaps. Last you probably want to go through planes.
>
> Now even more fun hw will have trouble and might need to look up
> random other objects to set stuff, so we need a drm_atomic_state
> structure to tie all these things together. For reasons that will
> become obvious later on these read-out states should be stored in the
> old_ state pointers.
>
> Finally we need the actual helper which takes that read-out state and
> smashes it into the real obj->state pointers, essentially a swap_state
> but in reverse (since we need to write the old_ state pointers into
> obj->state).
>
> One thing i915 does, but I don't think is really needed: We read out
> the connector->crtc routing as a first step, and once we have that, we
> read out the connector/encoder/crtc steps. I think if you first read
> out (and hence allocate) crtrc states, and then connector, and then
> encoder/bridges that should work, and simplifies the flow a bit. So we
> need another drm_atomic_state_helper_reset_to_readout or whatever,
> which uses _readout and then does the reverse swap. Drivers call this
> instead of drm_mode_config_reset.
>
> Now the real issue: How do you make sure this actually works? Testing
> with different fw configurations is usually impossible, you cant
> easily tell the firmware to boot with different modes. Or at least
> it's cumbersome since manual testing and lots of reboots. Waiting for
> bug reports and then fixing them, while probably breaking something
> else is a game of whack-a-mole.
>
> So what i915 does is read out the hw state on every nonblocking
> modeset (the additional time spent doesn't matter), but _only_ for the
> objects touched in that modeset state. This is why you need to read
> out into old_ state pointers, since after a blocking modeset those are

I have a feeling this old vs. new thing is still going to bite
someone. But atm don't really have any sane alternative ideas.

Hmm, maybe we could at least tag the atomic_state as "readout only"
for the duration of the actual readout and WARN/fail if anyone does
drm_atomic_get_new_foo_state() and for_each_new/oldnew...() on it?

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel